Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Hard Disk Crashed!

We have all heard of cases, and unfortunately many of us had to live through one as well; a hard disk crash on a computer. It’s your worst nightmare. Even though disks are remarkably reliable, any electro-mechanical device will eventually suffer from the demand placed upon it and go wrong. We are used to hearing the term ‘crash’, but where does it comes from and is there any chance on recovering your data?


A hard disk crash is normally the term given for the failure in which the read/write head touches the surface of the platter. The hard disk consists of a platter on which the data is stored. This is rotating with a reading head floating a microscopic distance above the platter. Imagine what happens when this head ‘crashes’ down on the platter. Nearly always there is damage to the head and the coating of the platter will be stripped away. This is what happens when your ‘hard disk crashes’. However, there are many more hard disk failures that are commonly given the name ‘hard disk crash’.

2 comments:

Grace Mukisa said...

If ur hard disk fails, u lose data. oops, it tickles pain.

Lately, I was amazed when I got an idea of backing up my data online. Indeed www.safecopybackup.com has been of great help for me. Firstly, I tried it out with their 3GB free. It never expires.It's wow!

Unknown said...

It is so frustrating to lose data.I can not for get the day i experienced it.I got so pissed off because only the vital files disappeared.I tried the recovery process but i did not get want i wanted.Ah!Grace i have viewed the SafeCopy link right now.Wow the free 3GB works so tremendously.I tried backing up some of my music.I think i will also buy space because i really do have a lot to backup.